Wednesday, September 24, 2008

History

So three months ago in June, I ran the Green Mountain Relay with my wife Lisa as a two person team.

It was one heck of an experience.

Back then I swore I would not do it again because I was miserable. I had strained my right Achilles two weeks before the relay and really shouldn't have been running the darn thing at all, but because of the planning it takes to do this, and the people that had committed to helping us, I felt like I had to run it.

I did, we did, and we finished. One hundred and ninety-seven miles in 34 hours, 42 minutes, and 28 seconds.

And then I couldn't walk. My Achilles declared that no, this was quite enough abuse for the year and it packed it in. I was on crutches for the next week and spend the rest of June and July hobbling around hoping things would get better.

They didn't really, so I finally got in touch with South County PT in Westborough where one of the PT's -- Eric Cardin -- prescribed twice-weekly sessions of Graston Technique and plyometrics.

Wow, I had heard how effective Graston can be, and also how painful it can be. Both rumors turned out to be fact, though the pain didn't come until they started to work on my calves which are/were tight from sitting at a desk all day long.

After six weeks of treatment I'm now back running. I started running again about a week ago and I've been on the road or trail every second day since then. My longest run so far has been 4 miles.

In a little under seven weeks I will need to be able to run 100 miles at the Mother Road 100 in Oklahoma.

I started this blog to track my progress mostly for my own benefit to stay motivated and to have something to look back on after the event, no matter how it goes.

Hopefully Well! ;-)

Cheers,
-Thomas.

No comments: