Monday, July 11, 2011

The Start of Something

Today it's exactly one week before my 39th Birthday. Since 2008 when I last attempted a 100 miler (Mother Road 100) only to fail at the 50 mile mark, I have abandoned my running in favor of a mix of self pity and stress relief.

Since that race I've run the occasional 5k, gained and lost 30lbs (I was 196lbs in January and sported a 38" waistline!), been diagnosed with Chron's Disease, attempted running comebacks, been laid off, started a new job, and moved.

There have been a lot of life changes and now I think it's about time I made another one for the good. I'm setting a big hairy audacious goal (thanks, Dr Horton, for the term) for myself:

In 2012, I will run the Vol-State run and do it in less than 3 Days

I know this sounds impossibly arrogant and presumptuous. My 100 mile best is a hair under 18 hours. I've completed only four of them. I've never run a multi-day event. I've never run in the heat of Tennessee, and I have no idea what to expect. DeWayne Satterfield holds the record at just over three days, and he has a history of ultra success that I will never be able to hold a candle to. 

But none of that means I can't try. I may not achieve the goal, but for some reason I can't quite explain, I have to give it an honest try. Can I run three 100 milers on consecutive days? I guess I'll know some time next July.

No comments: